Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It's all down hill from 25........

Now why would I make a statement like that when I'm already 33?? Because it's true - ya know sometimes you gotta listen to older people when they talk, they know what they are talking about.   For me I never really worried about my weight as a teenager. Sure I didn't love my body and wanted to change a 1000 things but I still didn't worry about what I ate.  I was lucky in that way, see my family is thin for the most part and eating and exercising just wasn't something I had to worry about but everyone would tell me just wait when you hit 25 it all gets harder.  I didn't believe them, boy was I wrong.   My mom was called "Twiggy" when she was younger , after the famous model, because she was so thin - I don't think my mom weighed as much as I do right now when she was pregnant with me.  My aunt has always been thin and even my cousins are thin so it's not something I felt I needed to worry about and besides I LOVE FOOD!!!! I still love food but when I started my first desk job the older ladies (and now that I think about it they were the age I am know and I thought of them as old- ahhh...) told me "I use to look just like you - thin but then I started sitting all day at work and once 25 hit it everything changed. I would laugh and say not me.  I was 18 when I started so I was young and thought please just because they were out of shape that would NEVER happen to me.  While I didn't have to worry about what I ate I still liked to exercise back then (find me anything new in working out and I'll pretty much try it) so I would workout and do tapes or go to the gym occasionally but I would always eat and eat junk mostly. 

So fast forward to 25 and I share those ladies had a curse on me...it almost seemed like a switch happened and I could no longer eat what I wanted without seeing it show up on my body.  I couldn't believe it....!!!! I actually couldn't eat chips, choc, drink sodas , eat ice cream and shakes and not gain weight - wtf...!!!  So after my 3 year denial I started WW with Jenn and finally learned how to eat better and make better choices.  I was 161lbs in 2006 when I joined which may or may not be a lot to some people but for a girl that was always around 125lb that was a big jump.  It took me about 4 months to get down to my goal of 145lbs (this is WW range for my height) but that wasn't my real goal - it took me another month to get to 131lb but even that wasn't realistic anymore so my happy medium is 135-140lbs. I've come to accept that I'm not going to be 125lb 20 yr old anymore and I really don't want to be.  I workout a lot more now and 125 is just not realistic for the exercise I do and want to do and besides I feel better at this weight and can fit better into clothes. 

Well that's my backround a little more - I'm still on this journey because even though I got to my goal in 2006 I let myself start to creep back up the scale 4 yrs later and had to recommit myself to being healthy and that's where I'm at now.  And I still LOVE FOOD so I'll always have to keep myself committed to excercise and tyring to make the right choices which I struggle with most days.  (Jenn is way better at eating then me and I think I'm the better exerciser so if you just combine the two of us together we would be perfect =) )

No comments:

Post a Comment